Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family Frère & Rosetta Hart

Adding In the Family Frère
I have been building my family tree on Geni.com since August.  I did this so that I could have family members update their own information.  My entire family tree is rather large, so I have been doing it by adding in one of my Pedigree line at a time, then adding in all their descendants.

Yesterday I added in Thomas Frère's line.  I had forgotten how many descendants he had until last night.  It took me hours.

It was just coincidence that my uncle wrote me the other day letting me know his book about Thomas is going to be released in paperback soon. 

Rosetta Hart & Family Found!
This is one of the backdated finds that I mentioned I was going to post about.

I have researched the Hart family starting 1800 with Henry Hart (my g-g-g-grandfather). His wife was Rosetta Cardoza. Henry disappears after the 1851 English census.  Then the rest of the family disappears in after the 1861 English census.  For years I was trying to find what happened to Rosetta, her sister Abigail and the Hart daughters.  I had assumed Rosetta had passed away and the daughters had been married off.

Mid-December 2012, I suddenly got an idea.  How did I know the family stayed in England?  To make a long story short, I did a search in the US and found Rosetta, her sister and all three daughters living in New York City.

The killer was (and this is something everyone should remember), is she was living in the same building as Samuel Hart's family (my g-g-grandfather) in 1880.  I have had Samuel in the 1880 US census for years, I just never thought about looking on the next page where the rest of the family was.

I know to check the neighbors.  However this record I have had since I first started working on the family.  Plus Samuel Hart's family moved around a lot.  I never thought they would move right next door to his mother.

Lesson:  After you have been researching for awhile, your skills increase.  It pays to go back and look at old records.

Dörrmoschel Book
My wife and I finished up a transcription today for the marriage of Joseph Frank and Karolina Abraham. I normally transcribe the record in German first.  My wife (who is German) proofs it to see if she can correct any mistakes or help with anything that I cannot make out.  Then I translate the record into English.

No comments:

Post a Comment